Totally Bananas

Remember Me??

What a week…..  Between flu, colds, a medication reaction, a death, throw up, teeth, blown hot water tank, and trees, (not necessarily in that order) I’m DONE.  I *think* we are back to normal today, but I thought that on Sunday and was oh so wrong.  The Lord doesn’t give us anything we can’t handle, but yesterday we were right at the edge, so I’m hoping he gives us a day off today.

So Scott and James were both sick last week, and just badly sick but I already told you about that so moving on….  I got hit with something else entirely on Thursday – conveniently the day Scott returned to work, dontcha love it when life kicks you in the teeth.  So Thursday and Friday were a bust for me, thankfully my mom came over Friday afternoon to lend a hand – but not before calling the police (Scott) to tell him that I was missing, not answering the phone or answering the door.  She tried for a 1/2 hr. and still couldn’t get me.  Scott tore out of work and headed home, and thought he’d try calling me one more time, when I answered he asked where I’d been……  Um… people, I was in the shower.  In a rare moment of quiet I had both boys napping and I thought a shower would help me feel better, little did I know it would send my mom into panic mode.  I love you mom!!!  Thanks for worrying about me!  She’s excused as we had just found out that a dear friend of our family had lost her daughter suddenly and we were all in a bit of shock. 

Saturday started out nicely, Scott was off for the weekend, we were going to recuperate and get our feet back under us and get everyone eating real meals and back on a schedule.  Then the phone rings… the computer crashed at the PD so Scott was off to do what he could to rectify the situation.  Again, I’m still sick and still by myself with a moderatly sick toddler and a teething infant.  Although I wasn’t sure if Aiden was drooling from teething or all the sinus meds that I was taking and nursing him.  So my mom (did I say I love her?) swoops in with her cape on and saves the day yet again.

I had noticed Saturday when James woke up that his ear seemed really red, but whatever, he probably slept on it or something.  He’s been really flushed lately with fevers and stuff so I brushed it off.  I noticed it again after his nap and made a mental note to keep an eye on him to see if he was scratching it or pulling at it.  After lunch he was very blah and fussy (great!) and just wanted to be held – while we were standing.  Yup, he screamed if we sat down while we held him.  Dude, you’re nearly 30 lbs. we need to sit, give a little!  Mom suggested calling the Dr. thinking maybe ear infection and that’s a great possibility given the nasty flu he just had.  So I called and the Dr. said to look at his belly and back and see if he had any hives.  Now I had just changed his shirt after the lunch mess that he ended up wearing and didn’t notice anything but I’ll humor him and take a peek.  I lift his shirt and it’s like he has the chicken pox.  Where’d those come from???  Stop the Amoxicillin and start pumping in the Benadryl.  I gave him the first dose of Benadryl as soon as I was off the phone and James promptly threw it up into my hands (lovely), at which point I officially lost my mind.  I ran and washed up, grabbed the phone and gave Scott an earful about him being at work and me being home sick desperately needing a sick day myself and dealing with all this stuff by myself (nothing personal mom) and yada yada yada, he was home within a 1/2 hr.  We decided to leave James sans Benadryl since he didn’t seem to be itchy and try again in the morning. 

Sunday… ah Sunday.  The sun was shining, the birds were chirping.  Everyone woke up smiling.  A beautiful day.  Scott and I deliberated while making coffee and waffles as to how we were going to get the Benadryl from point A to point B all the while James is chanting from his seat “coppee coppee” (tl: coffee coffee) Scott and I looked at each other and said why not?  So we all sat at the table with the Sunday paper and our respective cups of coffee.  2 mugs and a sippy.  1 black, 1 light n’ sweet, and 1 light w/ a teaspoon of benadryl.  After breakfast, the coffee was gone.  He got a sippy of decaf 6 hours later : ) I love being a mom!!!  Everyone napped extremely well, and at one point they both were napping.  I didn’t have to assist Aiden in falling asleep at all, and everyone went to bed without issue and Aiden slept until 3:30am -yah really. Bizzaro world?  It was a day to start off a great week on.  We needed a great week.

Monday:  The dark cloud looms over our house.  Scott got up and started the shower, I took Aiden downstairs to start coffee and get breakfast going.  Scott comes down moments later and says he has no hot water.  So he trotts down to our beautifully finished basement and gets to the bottom of the stairs and says “you’ve got to be kidding me”.  I run down the stairs to see our 1 year old wall to wall carpet (recently replaced from a freak flood 2 years ago) under an inch of water and hear water flowing like a geyser.  I look around the corner to the workroom and see a fountain pouring from the top of our hot water tank – AWESOME!  I braced myself for Scott to blow a gasket and he ever so calmly said “this will be covered by insurance, I’ll just shut the water off and call someone”  I’m thinking who is he going to call, a therapist? a hitman perhaps?  I guess you just reach a point when you’ve had enough that you just have to stop keeping score and start rolling with it.  We reached that point yesterday.  By 9am we’d spent roughly $2,000 and just sat on the couch and waited for the next thing…… then the phone rang.  My car went in for service for a suspicious leak (just off it’s warranty in August).  It needed a new radiator – I’m sure that’s a cheap little part.  Whatever, bring it on.  We just laugh now.  I ended the stellar day by attending a wake, seemed fitting.  I came home after an emotionally taxing evening and Aiden was relentless by 10pm, so back to the old grind.

In the midst of our spending frenzy yesterday, we scheduled tree work for our “backyard” for next week.  I’m so excited to finally get the forest cleared and let the boys play in the back yard this summer.  Excited beyond words!  We also talked about going to the St. Patricks Parade in Hartford on Saturday and I was wondering what the weather report was…. Scott promptly said “tornadoes, all the trees are going to fall on the house the day before they are to start working on them”.  Sounds about right.

I raise my coffee cup, here’s to better days ahead!  It’s almost 9:30 and both boys are sleeping!  Aiden went down for his nap on his own and James is still snoozing – back to his old ways – sleeping ’til 10am!  Love that kid!!!


Trackbacks & Pingbacks


  1. * Tasha says:

    OMG Shanna. Good grief, I thought MY week was bad. I’ve got nothing on you! Hope things get better around your house SOON!

    | Reply Posted 10 years, 3 months ago
  2. * amygg says:

    Oh wow, Shanna… you’ve had one heck of a week! I’m glad you all are on the mend now I had to laugh about the tornados fallin on the house. Hope this week is much better!! HUGS!!

    | Reply Posted 10 years, 3 months ago
  3. * Dawn says:

    Ahhh poor thing! I hope this week is a lot better!

    | Reply Posted 10 years, 3 months ago
  4. * ohamanda says:

    I can’t believe you could even recap those crazy days! I love that you gave him coffee! Whatever it takes, I guess!

    | Reply Posted 10 years, 3 months ago
  5. * dorindmikey says:

    Wow, I feel for you. I’m praying that things get back to normal, whatever normal is these days with kids in the house.

    | Reply Posted 10 years, 3 months ago
  6. * Toney says:

    You’re still standing!?!?!? God knows you’re strong, so he’s throwing it all at you at once! Everything else HAS to be downhill from here. Here’s hoping for a better week…and GREAT idea sneaking the Benedryl into the coffee. You’re clever!!!

    | Reply Posted 10 years, 3 months ago
  7. * Danielle says:

    Shanna, you sound like we are living similar lives… I know that sound of water POURING in the basement. I know the vomit in my hands… We just had 7 trees’ fall in our yard on a stone wall – just missing our home… Chicka – I feel for ya… Anytime you need to vent – just ping me – we can banter… LOL

    | Reply Posted 10 years, 3 months ago
  8. * Kacey says:

    Oh, my – you are one amazing woman, Shanna. All that and still a sense of humor! You’re due for some calmness now…right?

    | Reply Posted 10 years, 3 months ago
  9. * Jodi says:

    You gave him decaf in a sippy??? How’d I miss this post? ROFL!!!
    I’m so sorry you’ve had such a series of unfortunate events around there. Hope things are looking up now!

    | Reply Posted 10 years, 3 months ago

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: