Totally Bananas

Soccer Mom Diaries Vol1

So, it’s Friday – my soccer game was on Tuesday at 10:30pm.  I’m officially past the point of being so crippling sore that the mere thought of blogging about the game just hurt my head.  A wheelchair would have been so very nice the past 2 days.  You know it’s not going to be good when it’s sore getting into your car as you leave the arena.  Wednesday night I was nearly in tears it hurt to breathe (more on that later), and yesterday I had to physically lift my legs by grabbing my pants and hoisting to get over the various baby gates that I generally hurdle with ease.  To put it plainly I have felt like roughly a 87 1/2 year old with arthritis and decent bladder control.

So here’s how the night went down.  Let me start with this – as I was getting ready I realized I forgot to shave my legs in the shower so (stop cringing) do I need to tell you what I did??  yup – dry shave.  Seriously what was I thinking – I’ll tell you what, I was thinking that I should be going to bed not getting ready to go play soccer.

 I met up with a friend for coffee – game @10:30, yes the coffee was necessary – oh and it was free because I voted.  Go Starbucks!  We get to the arena a little early to size up the joint and meet the rest of the team (I know 2 of the 14 people) and then joke about how bad we are going to be -HAHAHA they have no idea!  10:30ish rolls around and the game  that we were watching ends so we grab all our stuff and head over to the benches.  Turns out we are on the wrong field.  There are 3 fields in the complex so we head across the hall to the correct field which is lights out and locked up.  The nice gentleman behind the bar says “oh no one told you, the other team cancelled”.  Seriously, cancel the 6:30 game, not the one that got me out of my bed to come to.  ARGH – so we all decided that we’re here we might as well make the most of it; split the team and play.

Can I just tell you that I was heaving like the worst asthmatic I’ve ever seen after about 5 min. of play.  Oh yeah, she’s a real talented player – the one in the corner gasping for air like a fish on a hook.  We took a water break half way through and I was ready to throw in the towel – I knew the next few days would be ugly by how hard I pushed myself to keep up.  These people can play – and I well, I cannot.  By the end of the game I had stopped gasping for breath but was exhausted.  I scored 1 goal (go me) and spent the next 2 days paying dearly for it. 

Oh and my legs – on fire.  The pain on Tuesday night and during the day Wednesday was worse from the razor burn than the muscle aches.  That transitioned some time around 6pm on Wed. night. when I absolutely couldn’t move.  I still wouldn’t dare touch my legs and can’t fathom shaving them.  But I can walk down the stairs carrying a child and not have to slide with my back on the wall to support myself.  Ahhh… one thing at a time.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks


  1. * AmyG says:

    LOL, when you said soccer at 10:30 in your other post, I thought you meant for James! Ha! I completely forgot you said you had signed up. That’s what I get for subscribing to to many blogs, I can’t keep up with who is who!

    I hope your legs get to feeling better soon! I’m sure it won’t take long until your body is up to speed and you look back on these earlier days & laugh! 😉

    | Reply Posted 9 years, 4 months ago
  2. * Danielle says:

    DUDE…. 10:30 PM! R U NUTS…. This mommy is in bed at that time. Go you! Just for that.

    Just think about the shape you are going to be in!

    | Reply Posted 9 years, 4 months ago

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: